Hover over a map marker to see the name of the light and click the marker to open a window containing additional information
Open to the public
Not open to the public
Visit our Gift Shop in Mackinaw City at 707 N. Huron Ave. - Right across the street from Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse
Contact: Tel (231) 436-5580 Fax (231) 436-5466 Mail PO Box 219, Mackinaw City, MI 49701 Email email@example.com
Built in 1894 to serve as the front light of a pair of ranges, this is the only light of the range remaining. Located off private property on exclusive Gross Ile, the lighthouse can be seen from private or charter boat. The structure is now maintained by the Grosse Ile Historical Society, and they open the light to the public one one day every year. Call 734-675-1250 for information
Built in 1903 to replace the old Turtle Island lighthouse as the primary leading light into the harbor of Toledo. Automated in 1966, the lighthouse was transferred to the Toledo Harbor Lighthouse Preservation Society in 2003, and they are working to restore the station. Currently only accessible by private or charter boat.
Built in 1866 to replace a crumbling 1832 lighthouse, Turtle Island served as the primary leading light into the Toledo River and Harbor until it was superceded by the Toledo Harbor lighthouse in 1903. Abandoned, the lighthouse sufferted significant vandalism, leaving only the lantern-less tower remaining, and is only visible by private or charter boat.
Established in 1913 to replace earlier structure, the Manhattan range lights served to guide mariners into the Maumee River. Eliminated in 1980’s, the front range was given to a local Hansen Industries, and the structure can be seen in their front parking lot at 2824 N. Summit Street in Toldeo.
Established in 1913 to replace earlier structure, the Manhattan range lights served to guide mariners into the Maumee River. Eliminated in 1980’s, the rear range was given to a local restaurant, and the structure can be seen beside the building at 2605 Broadway Street.
Originally built in 1847, the tower and dwelling were significantly modified in 1868. Automated in 1937, the island is a designated wildlife preserve and is off limits to visitors. The lighthouse can only be seen by private or charter boat.
Built in 1855 and rebuilt after a devastating fire in 1864, the lighthouse was automated in 1926. The island now serves as a nature preserve and landing is forbidden. The old light is completely surrounded by trees and only the new light seen here can be seen from private or charter boat.
Built in 1897 to serve as a coast light for general area navigation, the light station is now owned by the Ohio State University and used by researchers working on the island. The island can be easily reached by ferry boats from Port Clinton and the lighthouse is open for tours throughout the summer.
Built in 1915 to celebrate Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry’s victory over the British Navy in Lake Erie in 1812, the tower also serves as an official aid to navigation. Access to the island is easy by frequent ferry from Port Clinton.
Built in 1821 to serve the growing commerce among the Lake Erie Islands, Marblehead light station is oldest lighthouse in continuing operation on the Great Lakes. Now part of Ohio’s state park system, the lighthouse is interpreted by the Marblehead Lighthouse Historical Society who open the station to the public throughout the summer.
The lighthouse was erected on the pier in 1896 to replace an aging 1832 rubble stone lighthouse on shore. Removed from the pier in 1952, the structure was moved to Brands Marine, where it sat until 2013 when Brands donated it to the City, It is expected that it will be moved to Waterworks Park once restoration is complete.
The current 1862 limestone Cedar Point lighthouse was erected to replace a rubble stone structure built in 1839. Te light was eliminated in 1904, and the building deteriorated. With continuing development of the Cedar Point Amusement Park, the lighthouse was restored and incorporated as the centerpiece of a cottage community for park visitors. You can drive right up to the lighthouse, but you will need to purchase a a day ticket to gain park entry, The lighthouse can also be seen from the water by private or charter boat.
The first light to guide mariners into Huron Harbor was erected on the west pier in 1835. Replaced a number of times over the years before the current steel structure was erected in 1936. Youi can access the pier from a park on the western shore and walk out to get a close-up view of the lighthouse, which is frequently used as a fishing spot by local shore fishermen.
The federal government built its first beacon on the west pier at the entrance to the Vermilion River in 1852. A cast iron tower was erected in 1877, and that structure was removed in 1929 and re-erected on East Charity Shoal in Lake Ontario. The Great Lakes Historical Society built this replica of the 1877 light in front of the museum in 1991. The museum has now moved to Toledo and the replica is to be donated to the city of Vermilion.
After pierheads were built at the outer end of the new concrete breakwaters at Cleveland in the early 20th century, lights were placed on both pierheads to guide mariners through the gap. This structure was erected on the west pierhead in 1914. It is still owned by the Coast Guard and is far enough from shore that the only good view can be from a private or charter boat.
After pierheads were built at the outer end of the new concrete breakwaters at Cleveland in the early 20th century, lights were placed on both pierheads to guide mariners through the gap. This structure was erected on the east pierhead in 1914. It is still owned by the Coast Guard and is far enough from shore that the only good view can be from a private or charter boat.
After construction of breakwaters was completed at Fairport Harbor in 1911, a temporary light was established on the west arm to mark the entry. Construction of this permanent light station was completed in 1925. You can access the breakwater for close up views.
The first lighthouse erected at the mouth of the Grand River was established in 1825 and replaced by this brick and limestone structure in 1871. Now owned and preserved by the Fairport Harbor Historical Society, the lighthouse is open to the public throughout the summer.
With elongation of the breakwaters in Ashtabula Harbor, this light was built on the west breakwater in 1904. Now preserved by the Ashtabula Lighthouse Restoration and Preservation Society, who hold tours in the summer season. Contact the Society at the link below for dates and times.
While there have been a number of impressive lights to guide mariners into Conneaut Harbor since 1835, the present structure was erected on the west breakwater in 1936. Now privately owned, you can access the pier and walk out to view the lighthouse close up.
Built in 1873, and its tower elevated an additional 33 feet in 1896. Transferred to the state of Pennsylvania in 1998, the lighthouse served as a dwelling for park personnal until 2014. The non-profit Keepers of The Erie Lights group is planning restoration and will open the lighthouse to the public.
Built as the primary leading light into Erie harbor in 1818, the lighthouse was discontinued in 1881 after the erection of lights on the pier and peninsula. Relighted in 1885 it continued to serve until 1899 when it was extinguished permanently. A new lantern was added in 1903. The lighthouse grounds are open to the public all year.
The finest natural harbor on Lake Erie by virtue of the protective point which lies offshore, the first light was established on the pier at the east end of the peninsula in 1838. The existing steel tower was erected in 1923, and can be easily seen close up from the pier at the easternmost end of Presque Isle peninsula.
Built in 1829, the Barcelona light was the first in the country to be lighted with natural gas, which flowed naturally from the ground nearby. Decommissioned in 1859 when the port of Barcelona failed to reach its predicted importance. The lighthouse is privately owned. Good shots can be had from the road and from the marina below the bluff.
Built in 1876 to replace a crumbling rubble stone tower, the stone tower and brick dwelling at Dunkirk make for one of the most striking lighthouses on the Great Lakes. Owned and operated by the non profit Dunkirk Lighthouse group, the station is completely restored and open for tours throughout the summer.
Built in 1903 to serve mariners headed for the grain elevators which lined Buffalo’s south harbor, the lighthouse eventually served as a testing facility for diaphones manufactured by the Deck Company in Buffalo. Transferred to the Buffalo Lighthouse Society, the group hopes to restore the lighthouse and offer tours.
Located in Canadian waters, but built by the US government, the Horseshoe Reef light was erected in 1856. Decommissioned in 1920, time has not been kind to the old structure, which now serves as a roost to a huge flock of cormorants. Close up views of the light are only available by private or charter boat.
Complete in 1818 before the opening of the Erie Canal, the first Buffalo lighthouse stood until it was replaced by the existing tower in 1833. The lighthouse has been licensed to the Buffalo Lighthouse Association, and they are in the process of restoring the tower to its original glory, including the installation of an accurate replica Fresnel style lens.
Erected in 1918, largely to take the place of the Buffalo lightship which formerly marked the shoals off the point, the lighthouses served until it was decommissioned in 1995. The town of Fort Erie acquired the lighthouse in 2003, and completely restored its exterior in 2011. The lighthouse is located in a private gated community. The town opens the light for tours. See the website below for dates and times.
Lorain has been home to many lighthouses since 1837, the most recent of which is the 1917 Lorain West Breakwater light. Since 2005 the Lorain Foundation has been working to restore the lighthouse, and it is now open for tours throughout the summer. Visit the Foundation website for details by clicking the link below.
Lying off the Canadian shore in the main shipping channel in and out of the Detroit River, Colchester Reef was first marked by a lightship in 1866. Finally as a trade with the US for building a light on Passage Island in Lake Superior, the Canadian government erected a light on the reef in 1885. The lighthouse is long gone but the crib remains with a skeletal steel tower supporting the light. You will need a private or charter boat to see it.
Built in 1833, the lighthouse served to mark the southern edge of the channel in and out of the Detroit River. Abandoned in 1909 the lighthouse deteriorated and was reaching the point of collapse in 1999 when its plight gained the attention of Island residents and a “Relight The Lighthouse Committee” was formed and funding obtained to stabilize the structure. Part of the Lighthouse Point Nature Preserve, you can visit the lighthouse by taking a ferry to the island.
The strip of water between Pelee Island and the Canadian mainland has always been a busy passage to mariners entering and leaving the Detroit River to the upper lakes. The first lighthouse was erected on Middle Ground in 1861. It was replaced in 1975 with what is the most modern lighthouse on the lakes. The old lighthouse that sat here previously was moved to Windsor where it can be seen in the marina to this day. A private or charter boat is the only way to obtain close up views of this light.
The strip of water between Pelee Island and the Canadian mainland has always been a busy passage to mariners entering and leaving the Detroit River to the upper lakes. The lightship KEWAUNEE was placed on Southeast Shoal by the Lake Carriers Association in 1901 until a Canadian lighthouse was erected in 1925. Automated and abandoned in 1991, you will need a private or charter boat to see this light.
The first lighthouse was built to mark the east side of the Entry into Rondeau in 1876, This lighthouse burned, along with most of the west pier, and after the pier was rebuilt this skeletal tower was erected in 1905. You can obtain good views of this lighthouse from the west pier.
This plain, utilitarian structure was erected on the west pierhead at Rondeau in 1912, and served as a front range to a skeletal tower located at the inner end of the pier. You can get a good close up view of this structure by walking out the pier..
Similar to the lighthouse on the west pier at Rondeau, the Port Stanley West pier light is a utilitarian concrete structure erected in 1908 and designed to withstand the fury of Erie’s north shore. There is a fence across the west pier which precludes viewing the light close up, so a private or charter boat is the best way to see this light
Built in 1840, the original lighthouse still stands at the crest of the hill in Port Burwell. Decommissioned in 1962, the lighthouse is now maintained by the Port Burwell Marine Museum which opens the lighthouse to the public during the summer season.
In 1833 a storm blew an opening through sandy Long Point, and that cut was opened up and this lighthouse erected to guide mariners through the cut. The cut subsequently drifted closed, and the lighthouse was extinguished in 1916. The lighthouse is privately owned and has been beautifully restored.
The first lighthouse established to mark the outer end of Long Point was built in 1833. A second tower was built in 1843, and it, too, was replaced by the existing 1916 tower. Its light at a focal plane of 102 feet, it is the tallest light on Lake Ere. You will need a private or charter boat to see obtain a close up view of this light..
The first light was established at Port Dover in 1846. In 1897, a second light Was erected in the inner ed of the pier to serve as a range with the existing light. You can walk out the pier to obtain a close up view of this lighthouse
The first light was established at Port Maitland in 1846. The lighthouse was rebuilt in 1870 and 1875, the 1875 structure being the same one on the pier to this day.You can walk out the pier to obtain a close up view of this lighthouse
One of Canada’s Imperial Lighthouse erected by contractor John Brown, the light on Mohawk Island was established in 1848. The lighthouse was automated and abandoned in 1933, and deteriorated rapidly. While there have been some attempts at stabilization, the structure is in very poor condition. A private or charter boat is the only way to see this sad lighthouse.
Serving as the western terminus of the Welland Canal, two important lights were erected on the west pier in 1903 to serve as a range for mariners entering the harbor and the canal beyond. The Outer light is a reinforced concrete structure, and is connected to the inner light by way of a tunnel within the pier. A local group named “Save The Port Colborne Lighthouses” formed in 2013, and they hope to restore the two lights and open them to the public.
Serving as the western terminus of the Welland Canal, two important lights were erected on the west pier in 1903 to serve as a range for mariners entering the harbor and the canal beyond. The Inner light is a reinforced concrete structure, and is connected to the outer light by way of a tunnel within the pier. A local group named “Save The Port Colborne Lighthouses” formed in 2013, and they hope to restore the two lights and open them to the public.
Range lights were established to lead mariners into Kingsville in 1886. After the lights were replaced with modern aids, the old rear range was moved into town across from the train station where it is being restored.
Built in 1836 as a guide into the Detroit River, the “BobLo” light as it is frequently known was automated in 1927 and everything but the walls destroyed in a fire set by vandals in 1954. Surrounded by trees, it is very difficult to see the remains of the light from private or charter boat.
Ranges were erected in 1890 to guide mariners around Stag Island into the St. Clair River. When the range was replaced with modern skeletal towers the city of Corunna purchased the rear range structure and it was trucked to Mooretown where it is displayed in the Moore Museum and can be seen to this day.
Built in 1818 to replace a wooden structure which burned during the War of 1812. The Lower Thames River Conservation Authority obtained the lighthouse in 1972, and dismantled the stone tower and rebuilt it on their property to create the Lighthouse Conservation Area. You can drive right up to this light.
This light was erected on a crib in Lake Erie’s Pelee Passage in 1902 after the original light burned in 1900. It was in turn replaced by a stark, modern structure in 1976, and the old light was disassembled and moved to Windsor where it was rebuilt in the Lakeview Park Marina. You can drive right up to this light..
Range lights were established off Peche island in 1898. Pile clusters, they were repeatedly swept away by ice until 1908 when they were replaced by permanent iron and steel structures on cribs. An explosion destroyed the front range in 1927, and the rear range was leaning so badly it was replaced with a modern structure in 1983. The tower was moved to Marine City where it can now be seen on the waterfront.
With modifications to the canal cut through Lake St. Clair, a pair of range lights was erected on Harsen’s Island to mark the entry into the St. Clair River. Lighted in 1934, the front station dwellings were located at the front range and the 100-foot skeletal steel rear range some 4,000 feet to the northwest. The front range is now privately owned, and good views can be had from a private or charter boat.
A pair of range lights were established in the lake to guide mariners through the delta from Lake St. Clair into the St. Clair River in 1859. The lights served until 1907 when the canal across the lake was relocated. Abandoned, the lights deteriorate until 1989 when “Save Our South Channel Lights” formed and stabilized the foundations and restored the rear tower. Distant views can be had from S. Channel Drive on Harsens Island, but a private or charter boat is needed for a close up view
A lightship was established in the center of Lake St. Clair to mark the dredged channel in 1887. The lightship was finally replaced by this permanent light in 1941. An automated light, it never had any keepers, but was maintained by the crew at the St, Clair Flats Canal Range in Harsens Island. Located in the middle of Lake St. Clair, a private or charter boat is needed to see this light.
Windmill Point marks an important turning point for vessels passing between Lake St. Clair and the Detroit River, and the first light was established here in 1838. Replaced with a significantly larger station in 1874, the manned station served until 1933 when the automated steel structure which remains today was erected. You can drive right up to the lighthouse by taking Riverside Blvd to Windmill Point Lighthouse Rd.
A pair of range lights were established in the lake to guide mariners through the delta from Lake St. Clair into the St. Clair River in 1859. The lights served until 1907 when the canal across the lake was relocated. Abandoned, the lights deteriorate until 1989 when “Save Our South Channel Lights” formed and stabilized the foundations and restored the rear tower. Distant views can be had from S. Channel Drive on Harsens Island, but a private or charter boat is needed for a close up view.
In order to draw its water from further out in the lake where it would be less polluted by its own waste, the city erected an intake crib approximately 1 ¼ miles from the shore in 1907. Outfitted with a light at the apex of its roof the following year, the light was tended by the keepers at the Horseshoe Reef light, which the crib largely rendered obsolete. Due to its distance from shore, views can only be obtained from a private or charter boat,
In order to draw its water from further out in the lake where it would be less polluted by its own waste, the city erected an intake crib approximately 1 ¼ miles from shore in 1874. With increasing shore pollution, this new crib and supply tunnel five miles out in the lake were placed in operation in 1904. Both cribs were outfitted with lights operated by the water department. The crib currently exhibits a pair of 300 mm Tideland Signal optics. A speck on the horizon from shore, a private or charter boat is needed for good views.
Two small, identical steel light structures were designed and installed in Buffalo harbor in 1903. One on the north breakwater and one on the north side of the south entry. For reasons which should be clear, over the years they became known as “bottle lights.” Decommissioned in 1988, the south entry light was transported to Dunkirk where it was placed at the entry to the Dunkirk lighthouse grounds.
Two small, identical steel light structures were deigned and installed in Buffalo harbor in 1903. One on the south end of the north breakwater and one on the north side of the south entry. For reasons which should be clear, over the years they became known as “bottle lights.” Decommissioned in 1988, the north breakwater light was removed and displayed next to the Buffalo Main light where it can be seen to this day.
Built by volunteers as part of improvements to Belanger Park undertaken in 2003, the lighthouse ius dedicated to the many thousands of men and women who have served on Michigan’s waterways. Open to te public by appointment, the interior features displays River Rouge’s rich historic shipbuilding history.
Built in 1874, this impressive building and its associated docks and outbuildings served as headquarters and principal supply depot for the 11th Lighthouse district, which at that time included all the US aids to navigation in lakes Huron, Michigan & Superior. Located at the foot of Mt. Elliott St, the building is closed to the public.
Buffalo had a succession of lights which marked the long breakwater which protected the harbor, the last of which was demolished after being rammed by the freighter FRONTENAC in 1958. Rather that rebuild the lighthouse, a new structure was established on the new outer breakwater in 1961. The structure is a virtual duplicate of the Round Island Passage light established in Lake Huron 13 years previous.